When my boss turned 60 the other day. His insurance company posted him a birthday card with a recipe for a red velvet cake attached to the card.
He was kind enough to bring it to work for me.
This makes one round cake, to make a double layered cake, double the batter ingredeints.
- 125G x rama margarine.
- 250g x castor sugar.
- 2 x eggs.
- 200g x cake flour.
- 25g x cocoa powder.
- 1 x tsp baking powder.
- 125ml x buttermilk.
- 20ml x red food colouring.
- In a bowl, cream the margarine and sugar together, till fluffy.
- Add one egg at a time and whisk for a couple of seconds between each egg.
- Mix the dry ingredients in another bowl and sift the flour mixture into the egg mixture.
- In a separate bowl, mix the food colouring and the buttermilk together.
- Add this wet mixture to the egg mixture.
- Gently fold all the ingredients into each other, till everything is nicely mixed.
- Pour into a greased 20cm cake pan and bake in a preheated oven at 180 degrees for 15 – 20 minutes or until the cake tester comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cook in the tin for 15 minutes, before turning out onto a cooling rack.
Ingredients for the cream cheese icing:
- 250g x room temperature cream cheese.
- 250g x room temperature rama margarine.
- 1 x tsp vanilla essence.
- 500g x icing sugar.
- Cream the margarine till light and fluffy.
- Add the cream cheese and mix well.
- Add the vanilla essence and mix well.
- Add the sifted icing sugar and mix well till everything is well combined.
* I halved my icing and coloured one half pale pink while I left the other plain. When I iced the cake I added blobs of pink icing and then ran the icing smoother around the cake.
* I then took a sharp pointed spatula and stuck it in the icine and turned the turn table round and round creating a funky design around the cake. I repeated the method on the top of the cake.
* When I was done, I sprinkled pink and white stars over the cake and around the cake.