Apparently breakfast is the most important meal of the day.
Myself I can’t eat a heavy meal before lunch, otherwise I am tired the entire day and then tend to snack on sugary things to keep me awake.
Porridge and oats and smoothies are all off the menu, but toast seems to go well with my morning coffee and it does keep the hungry pains at bay till lunch time.
I was lucky enough to get The Breakfast Bible recipe book from a friend. The books is filled with some quick and easy recipes there are also some time consuming ones, but those are for days when I am not watching the clock with one eye and trying not to choke on my meal.
This is recipe is a bit on the exotic side because it uses ingredients such as capers and dill and salmon all of the above and never in my fridge or pantry, so this meal required some planning and a quick trip to the supermarket.
Capers, I am not really sure what their purpose is, because I swallowed them whole after my dad told me they were the seas version of peppercorns and then my mind went into over drive and I kept thinking it was some sea creatures poo or something like that.
What can I say I have a very vivid imagination.
All in all this recipe was a very delicious one and the cream cheese make it taste just like cream cheese frosting on a cake, minus the capers.
The measurements I am using below are for 2 slices of toast, but if you want more bread, just alter the ingredients to your fancy.
- 185g x cream cheese, room temperature.
- 2 x tbsp., dill, finely chopped.
- 1 x tsp lemon juice.
- Salt and pepper to season.
- 2 x slices of bread toasted.
- 125g x thinly sliced smoked salmon.
- A few thin slices of red onion.
- 2 x tsp capers.
- 1 x tsp finely chopped chives
- Mix the cream cheese, dill and lemon juice together.
- Season generously with salt and pepper and set aside.
- To assemble your sandwich, smear the toast with a dollop of the cream cheese mixture, then layer your salmon, add the onion slices, sprinkle the capers over the top and finely garnish with the chives.