I have seen many a snowball in my life and I have been mesmerised as to how they make them.
Some that I have come across have been plain and others have been filled with cream in the middle. But all the snowballs I have seen in my lifetime have been pink. I have never come across another coloured snowball in my life.
I have also been daunted to make snowballs, I think it’s the shape that puts me off, how do I bake a circular cake and make sure that it does not spread and keep its round shape.
Then I came across a recipe for snowballs in the Sydow’s sisters cookbook and I just had to try it out.
They made it seem so simple and easy, by baking the cake as a cupcake and once cooled removing the paper casing. Of course their recipe was one that contained eggs and we don’t do egg cakes in our house, so I opted to use my vegan lemon cupcakes and use the same basic method of turning the cupcake into a pink ball covered with coconut.
It worked like magic and everyone loved them, my dad took the remainder to work and all his friends could not get enough, they placed orders but little do they know that I never duplicate a food item twice in one year. Oh well, I will just let them suffer in silence and hold their breaths every time my dad takes out his lunch tin. Yes, I am very very mean lol.
- 2 x cups cake flour.
- 1 x cup castor sugar.
- ½ x cup cooking oil.
- 1 x tsp lemon essence.
- 1 x tbsp. white wine vinegar.
- 1 x cup water.
- 1 x tsp bicarbonate of soda.
- In a jug, whisk together the castor sugar, water, lemon essence and oil together till all the sugar has dissolved.
- In a bowl, mix together the cake flour and bicarbonate of soda.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and whisk till well combined.
- Pour into a cup cake pan lined with cupcake casings.
- Pop into a preheated oven and bake at 180 degrees for 10 minutes or until the cake tester comes out clean.
- Allow the cupcakes to cool completely before removing them from their casings.
Ingredients for snowballs:
- 375ml x smooth apricot jam.
- 1 x cup boiling water.
- 1 x tsp crimson pink food colouring.
- 2 ½ x cup desiccated coconut.
To assemble the snowballs:
- In a bowl, whisk together the jam, boiling water and food colouring nice and smooth.
- Submerge the cupcake into the jam liquid for a couple of seconds and shake off any excess liquid.
- Toss into the desiccated coconut and make sure that the entire cupcake is coated with the coconut.
- Top with whipped cream and a fresh strawberry…this is totally optional.