I can’t remember the last time I made chicken wings at home. Most of the times I just buy the dunked ones from KFC. Well simply, when the craving gets you, boy does it get you and also to the fact that I never seem to be able to get my hands on wings.
I always have to buy the entire braai pack when all I want is wings wings and more wings.
The recipe has a sauce that gets poured over at the end, a blue cheese sauce. I bought blue cheese once, it stunk up the entire office and car and then I threw it out. I have never tasted it before and since the last time, I have never touched it. I steer clear on the blue stuff when I go to the cheese isle.
But seeing as this is a culinary blog and I only live once, and if I don’t try it I won’t know whether or not I like it, I decided to make the sauce and give it a try.
My verdict it was nice and then my mind went places and every time I came across a lump of blue cheese in the sauce, I couldn’t swallow. What can I say? Well my mother says an over activate imagination is a dagger in ones own heart.
My dad seemed to enjoy it. Me on the other hand, I loved the wings, just not what was covering the wings. Even I can be difficult at times.
Ingredients for the wings:
- 500g x wings
- 2 x tbsp. oil.
- 1 x tsp lemon juice.
- 1 x tbsp. paprika
- 1 x tsp cumin powder.
- ½ x tsp oregano.
- ½ x tsp masala.
- Salt and pepper to season
Method for the wings:
- Wash and pat dry the wings.
- In a bowl, whisk together all the ingredients.
- Add in the chicken wings and toss to coat everything.
- Cover and pop into the fridge to marinate for an hour.
- Drain off the excess marinade.
- Layer the wings in a single layer on a greased baking tray.
- Pop into a preheated oven and bake at 180 degrees for 45 – 60 minutes or until a nice crispy layer of skin has formed.
Ingredients for the sauce:
- ¾ x cup mayonnaise.
- ¾ x cup sour cream.
- 90g x blue cheese, mashed.
- 1 x tsp white wine vinegar.
- 1 x clove garlic, crushed.
- Salt and pepper to season.
Method for the sauce:
- Whisk everything together in a bowl.
- To assemble, layer red pepper strips and celery strips down on a platter.
- Top with the chicken wings.
- Pour over the sauce
Garnish with chopped parsley