Spinach curry is better known as herb curry… When I found out this fact, it confused the living day lights out of me.
In Durban apparently you can go to the market and buy herbs, but here in the windy city we are not so luck so we use spinach leaves instead.
The trick here, is not to add alot of water but rather a teaspoon of water at a time. When I first made it I added enough water to make sure that the spinach was covered and it took FOREVER to cook and when it was finished cooking the spinach had no taste.
- 3 x cups spinach, washed and roughly chopped.
- 2 x tbsp. masala.
- ¼ x tsp turmeric powder.
- Salt to taste.
- 4 x cloves of garlic, crushed.
- 3 x dry chillies.
- 1 x onion, chopped.
- Heat some oil in a pot, add the onions and garlic and sauté till the onions are transparent.
- Add the chopped spinach and cover the pot with a lid.
- Let it steam for 5 minutes, this will allow the spinach to shrink.
- Add the spices and about 2 x tbsp. water.
- Cover and let it cook till all the water has been absorbed.