There are days, especially the day before the weekly grocery shopping, when I run out of ideas.
I always tend to buy takeaways that day but seeing as my waist line is starting to resemble a take away menu, I thought I would try and eat more home made meals.
This week, when that day before the shopping came around, and there was zero appetizing food in the fridge, the only thing that still looked like it would be filling was a pack of chicken drumsticks and thighs.
The only reason that it was still in the fridge, was because I was supposed to buy the chicken without the skin for a recipe, but of course I wasn’t paying attention when I picked up the braai pack and then I somehow got stuck with it.
I came across a recipe in Nadiya’s cookbook that was perfect for the lonely braai pack.
The results, super delicious and the marinade made the chicken flesh so succulent and flavourful.
The only down side, I had to go out and buy apple juice, juice is never ever found in our fridge.
I added a packet of baby potatoes and roasted it alongside the chicken to make it a more filling meal.
- 4 x chicken drum sticks, skin on.
- 4 x chicken thighs, skin on.
- 1 x tsp cumin seeds.
- 1 x tsp fennel seeds.
- 1 x tsp cinnamon powder.
- 1 x tsp paprika powder.
- ½ x tsp salt.
- 1 x tbsp. oil.
- 1 x tbsp. tomatoe puree.
- 1 x tbsp. white wine vinegar.
- 2 x tbsp. muscovado sugar or dark brown sugar.
- 2 x tbsp. apple juice.
- Wash chicken pieces and pat dry.
- Make a couple of slash marks on each piece of chicken and set aside.
- In a bowl, whisk together the remaining ingredients.
- Place the chicken in the marinade, cling wrap the bowl and pop into the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade and place on a greased baking tray.
- Pour over the marinade.
- Pop into a preheated oven and bake at 180 degrees for 45 – 60 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Every 10 minutes, turn the chicken and baste with the sauce in the pan.