These surprise frikkadels are my mother’s favourite. Apparently when she was growing up my gran used to make these with her famous sweet chutney. This was my first attempt at making these beauties. I won’t lie I was very scared I thought they would come apart from the egg when I fried them. But thank goodness they did not.They also happen to taste extremely delicious and the recipe should come with a warning label that they can be very addictive.
This recipe roughly makes 6 frikkadels.
- 1 x 420g Tin fish in tomatoe sauce, deboned and cleaned. You do not need to keep the sauce.
- 1 x onion, finely chopped.
- 1/4 x tsp tumeric powder.
- 2 x tbsp Cartwrights curry powder.
- 4 x slices of stale bread, remove the crusts.
- 1 x raw egg.
- 6 x boiled eggs.
- salt to taste.
- In a bowl, soak the bread in water for about 2 seconds, remove from water and squeeze the bread slices together till all the excess water has been removed.
- break the bread up and place in a bowl.
- Add the cleaned fish, onions and spices.
- Add the raw egg and mix using your hand till everything is mixed nicely… there should be no visible big clumps of bread.
- Take a nice hand full of the mixture and flatten it slightly in the palm of your hand.
- Place the boiled ontop of the mixture in your hand and cup your hand around the mixture which will help you to enclosed the egg in the mixture… you can add more mixture if you do not have enough.
- Make sure the entire boiled egg is covered.
- Deep fry in hot oil till the outside is nice and brown.
- Serve with sweet chutney and mash potatoe.