I am a huge fan of sweet and sour chicken, I have never made this dish before. Normally I would just order it from the Chinese takeout place around the corner.
Of course, I am lazy and thanks to the Mr D app I can now order it online and have it delivered to my door, but now they have insisted on a price limit. So now I have to buy a ton of other things just to get sweet and sour chicken.
To save my poor bank account from sinking due to my constant Chinese cravings, I decided to give sweet and sour chicken recipe a go.
I came across this recipe in Mary Berry’s cookbook.
I was a bit sceptical when I came across this recipe at first, because it asked for a can of litchis… firstly they can also spell it lychees. Anyway I have never cooked with this fruit before. I don’t even like the fruit itself, the way it makes your fingers sticky after eating and then you sometimes bite the brown flesh close to the pip and it tastes sooo bitter… it just puts me of litchis. My dad loves them, he eats them like they are going out of fashion. It must be because he is from Durban and you can find litchi trees on every corner there. Here in our hometown it is more like every 4th corner only.
When I presented this dish to my dad the first thing he spotted was the peppers and was such a cry baby, he made me spoon it out of his bowl, because peppers give him indigestion… I mean if the recipe asks for it, I have to put it in, just in case I leave it out and it alters the taste of the dish and then what???? It will taste funny.
But before I give the ingredients, do you have any idea how difficult it is to find tinned litchis??? Extremely difficult. I was going to scratch making this recipe off my list, when I accidently came across 2 tins and I quietly put both in my trolley and rushed to the pay point before someone else spotted them and wanted them more than I did.
- 500g x chicken breasts, cubed.
- 2 x tbsp. soy sauce.
- 1 x tbsp. rice wine vinegar.
- 1 x 250g can pineapple pieces ( juice reserved).
- 2 x tbsp. corn starch.
- 3 x tbsp. oil.
- 1 x green pepper, deseeded and cubed.
- 1 x red pepper, deseeded and cubed.
- 1 x celery stalk, thinly sliced.
- 1 x onion, cubed.
- ¼ x cup tomatoe sauce.
- 1 x 250g tin litchis ( juice drained).
- Salt and pepper to season.
- In a bowl, mix together the chicken, rice wine vinegar and soy sauce together, cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Mix pineapple juice together with enough water to make 250ml.
- Add in cornstarch, litchi juice and whisk till well combined.
- In a wok, allow the oil to heat up.
- Fry the chicken in batches until cooked through. Remove from the oil and drain on kitchen towel.
- Add the peppers, celery and onion to the wok.
- Fry for about 5 minutes or until the onions are soft.
- Add in the corn starch mixture, tomato sauce, corn starch mixture, whisk and cook till the mixture starts to thicken.
- Add in the chicken pieces, pineapple pieces and litchi pieces.
- Stir and cook until the chicken heats through.