The other night, when insomnia hit home, I made a batch of Ree Drummonds meatballs.
I thought that the meatballs would at least get a chance to get some frost bite on them before I needed to use them.
I was greatly mistaken; I had to use them to next day.
I incorporated the meatballs in one of The Pioneer Women’s dishes. Sweet and sour meatballs.
Thank goodness my dad loves pineapples and thank my lucky stars that I had a tin of pineapple pieces just chilling in the cupboard.
- The juice from two tins of pineapple pieces…. You will use one tin of the pieces and the other, pop into the freezer for when you need it.
- ½ x cup treacle brown sugar.
- ½ x cup rice vinegar.
- ¼ x cup tomatoe sauce.
- 1 x Tbsp soy sauce.
- 1 x Tbsp corn starch.
- A batch of meatballs, fried.
- 1 x tin drained pineapple pieces.
- Pour the pineapple juice, sugar, vinegar, tomatoe sauce and soy sauce into a pot, give it a good stir and allow to come to the boil.
- Make a slurry of ¼ x cup water with the corn starch, mix to combine.
- Pour the slurry into the pot and whisk.
- Once the mixture has again come to the boil, add the cooked meatballs.
- Cover and allow to cook for about 15 minutes on a medium heat until the sauce has thicken and reduced.
- Remove from the heat.
- Add the pineapple pieces.
- Garnish with chopped coriander.