Being a huge fan of The Pioneer Women, I have come to hear the word “tex- mex,” more times than I have heard my own name being called at home.
To this day I still have to try and figure out what the exact meaning of tex mex means, but I will tell you something, it tastes extremely delicious all the same.
I came across this recipe in Mary Berry’s cookbook and it looked very easy to make, which is just what you need on a scorcher of a day. It seems the hotter it gets the more demanding my family becomes around meals times.
What I liked about this recipe, was that I could just pop the chicken in the oven and allow it to cook while I got on with other things. No keeping a watchful eye on frying chicken and trying to not get attacked by angry oil splatters.
This dish not only tasted delicious but the vibrant colours made everything look even more appealing.
The only down side, those damn chillies were stronger than I expected. I was craving for some chillies and piled my plate high with the salsa, after a couple of bites my tongue lost all feeling and sensation. I think my taste buds have recovered for now. No more chillies for the reminder of the year. I have reached my quota.
Ingredients for the marinade:
- ¼ x cup olive oil.
- ¼ x cup orange juice.
- 1 x tsp cumin powder.
Ingredients for the chicken:
- 4 x chicken breasts cut into chunks.
- 2 x avocados.
- 2 x tbsp. lime juice.
- 1 x red onion, thinly sliced.
Ingredients for the salsa:
- 500g x tomatoes, chopped.
- 1 x red onion, finely chopped.
- 3 x tbsp. olive oil.
- 2 x tbsp. lime juice.
- 3 x tsp coriander, chopped.
- 2 x cloves garlic, crushed.
- 1 x jalapeno chile, finely sliced.
- Salt to season.
- To make the marinade, mix all the marinade ingredients together in a bowl and pour into a sealable bag.
- Place the chicken in a bag and seal the bag.
- Toss the bag a couple of times to get everything nicely mixed.
- Pop into the fridge to marinade overnight.
- Remove the chicken and place on a greased baking tray.
- Pop into a preheated oven and bake at 180 degrees till the chicken in nice and golden brown.
- Slice the avocados lengthwise into strips and brush with lime juice.
- On a plate, layer the onions, place the chicken ontop of the onions, arrange the avocado slices ontop.
To make the salsa mix all the salsa ingredients together in a bowl and serve alongside the chicken.