Who doesn’t love a good muffin? Sometimes baking a muffin from scratch can seem to be a lengthy task, but it is actually really simple.
Homemade also tastes better, maybe because I am actually aware of what is going into the muffin. I mean seriously I have walked past many a bakery and seen the conditions of those kitchens and wonder if I am actually getting a muffin or am I getting a muffin and a something extra, a special secret ingredient lol.
I am slowly working my way through my vegan muffin section of The Vegan baking cook book and today it was the apples turn to be turned into a muffin, sorry bananas it is time you took a back seat.
I love apples in all forms, shapes sizes and colours, so this recipe was just up my street.
And if the recipe itself was not a breeze to make it was also vegan friendly so my mother could enjoy the sweet treat as well.
- 2 x cups cake flour.
- 1 x tbsp. baking powder.
- 1 x tsp cinnamon powder.
- ½ x tsp salt.
- 2 x tbsp. ground flax seed
- 6 x tbsp. hot water.
- ½ x cup apple sauce.
- 1/3 x cup oil.
- ½ x cup castor sugar.
- 1 x tsp vanilla essence.
- 225g x apple, cubed.
- 1 x cup chopped pecans.
- Mix the flax seeds and water together, give it a good stir and allow to stand for 15 minutes to get all gooey and this will form the vegan egg.
- In a bowl, mix the apple sauce, oil, sugar, vanilla essence and vegan egg together, until well combined.
- Add the flour, baking powder, cinnamon powder, salt and mix till well combined.
- Fold in the apple pieces and the nuts.
- Fill your muffin casings about ¾ of the way.
- Pop into a preheated oven and bake at 180 degrees for 15 – 20 minutes or until the cake tester comes out clean.