Once in a while, especially after watching extreme weight loss or any health shows on television, I go through a git day, where I really try and eat healthy.
Last night I watched an extreme weight loss show and when it was over, I high tailed it to the kitchen to whip up an extremely healthy bran muffin with raisons.
Boy oh boy was it very healthy.
This recipe makes roughly 12 medium sized muffins.
My verdict was that it was a little to healthy and I am not a raisins fan at all, I picked them out. I pick raisins out of everything even hot cross buns. That is why I am the only one in my household that loves the fruit free raisins currently hitting the market by storm.
- 4 x tbsp. ground flax seed.
- ½ x cup hot wate.
- 2 ½ x cups all bran flakes.
- 1 ½ x cups cake flour.
- ¾ x cup dark brown sugar.
- 2 ½ x tsp bicarbonate of soda.
- 1 x tsp salt.
- 1 x cup soy milk.
- 1/3 x cup coil.
- 1 x cup raisins.
- Mix the flax seed and hot water together, give it a good stir and allow to stand for 15 minutes to thicken up and become gooey this is know as the vegan egg.
- In a bowl, mix the all bran flakes, cake flour, sugar, bicarbonate of soda and salt. Give it a good mix and set aside.
- In another bowl, add the egg, milk and oil and whisk together till the oil has been well blended.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Fold in the raisins.
- Fill your muffin casings about ¾ of the way.
- Pop into a preheated oven and bake at 180 degrees for 15 – 20 minutes or until the cake tester comes out clean.