I love cookies, I could eat cookies for breakfast, lunch, supper and even snacks, especially midnight snacks.
My dad loves a cookie especially with him evening tea, my mum like me, doesn’t need an excuse to eat cookies and then there are of course my dads work buddies who love snacks during morning meetings. Nothing like a sugar high to start the work day.
When my mum started her vegetarian journey, I was really under the impression that she would not be able to enjoy sweet things, her new lifestyle choice would be that of bland food that consisted of seeing how many ways one could use a potatoe or even 7days a week of soya products, but I was greatly mistaken
Now that I am aware to the great possibilities and endless food choices out there for her, I have made it my mission to incorporate my mum in all my planned meals.
Including the tea snacks and this chocolate chip recipe is just up her street. When my dad tasted these beauties he was gobsmacked that they were eggless and vegan friendly. They tasted so delicious and warm and it tasted like there was actually an egg in them.
This recipe makes roughly 36 cookies.
I used my smallest Kitchen craft mechanical ice cream scoop which has a diameter of 3.9cm.
- 3 x tbsp. ground flaxseed.
- 120ml x boiling hot water.
- 225g x room temperature margarine.
- ¾ x castor sugar.
- ¾ x cup light brown sugar.
- 2 x tsp vanilla essence.
- 2 ¼ x cup cake flour.
- 1 x tsp bicarbonate of soda.
- 1 x tsp salt.
- 1 x cup chocolate chip pieces.
- 1 x cup chopped nuts.
- Mix the flax seed and boiling water together, give it a good stir and set aside for 15 minutes so that it can become gooey and this will be known as a vegan egg.
- In the bowl of your mixer, cream the margarine, both sugars and the vanilla essence together, till light and creamy.
- Add the vegan egg, cake flour, salt, bicarbonate of soda and mix till well combined.
- Add the nuts and chocolate chip pieces and turn the mixer onto a low speed to allow the nuts and chocolate chips to be folded into the mixture.
- Using your ice cream scoop, scoop out the mixture into your hand, roll into a ball and plop onto a greased baking sheet.
- Pop into a preheated oven and bake at 180 degrees for 10 – 15 minutes, or until the tops of the cookies are lightly golden.
- Allow to cool for a couple of minutes on the cookie try, before transferring to a cooling rack.