I was never a big fan of French toast, there always seemed to be an eggy left over flavour in my mouth and also I never seem to know what to eat it with. Maple syrup or scrambled eggs, it always confuses me.
I came across this recipe for vegan French toast, a while back. I was trying to get my mother to give it a try but every time I brought up the toast she pushed it away saying she has to eat her All bran flakes.
But my dad on the other hand was like feeding lemon to a baby so easy… just kidding. At first he was very hesitant , but I served it up with date chutney and he seemed to enjoy the chutney with the toast, that he landed up eating two slices of toast.
To me the ingredients is very similar to that of making chilli bites, but the toast tastes delicious and mmm yum yum so warm and actually really really quick to make.
- 1 x cup chana flour.
- 1 ½ x cups water.
- ¾ x tsp salt.
- ¼ x tsp turmeric powder.
- ¼ x tsp cayeene pepper.
- ¼ x tsp cumin seeds.
- ½ x chopped onion.
- 1 x green chilli, chopped.
- ¼ x cup chopped coriander.
- In a bowl, whisk all the ingredients together till well combined.
- Heat some oil in a pan.
- Dip the bread into the batter and immediately put it into the hot plate.
- Allow to brown lightly on one side before flipping over and allowing to brown on the other side.