I am not a huge fan of zucchini as a vegetable on the whole.
I was always under the impression that zucchini was a very limiting veg, it was the veg that people cut up into huge chunks and tossed in the oven to roast along with the roast chicken and potatoes.
I was greatly mistaken.
A while back, I made a zucchini chocolate cake and I loved the cake, it was super moist and the best part, there was no zucchini chunks in the middle of the cake, you couldn’t taste that there was even zucchini in the cake.
I was browsing through Loving it Vegan’s website looking for inspiration when I came across a zucchini muffin recipe and since I had a couple of zucchini in the fridge nearing its sell by date I thought that I couldn’t at least put them to use rather thank chucking them out.
This recipe is super easy to make using a mixer, by hand it is a little more difficult as it does require a fair deal of beating to allow the zucchini to release its moisture.
This recipe makes 12 medium sized muffins and if you are using a mechanical ice cream scoop to fill your muffin casings, these muffins prep time will be under 5 minutes.
- 2 x cups cake flour.
- ½ x cup castor sugar.
- ½ x cup light brown sugar.
- 1 x tsp bicarbonate of soda.
- 1 x tsp baking powder.
- 1 x tsp cinnamon powder.
- ¼ x tsp nutmeg powder.
- ½ x tsp salt.
- 140g x grated zucchini.
- ½ x cup oil.
- 2 x tsp vanilla essence.
- ¼ x cup soy milk.
- 1 x tbsp. apple cider vinegar.
- 1 flax egg ( 1Tbsp crushed flax seed mixed with 3 x Tbsp hot water).
- 1 x cup almond nibblers.
- Make the flax egg and set aside for 15 minutes to get thick and gooey.
- In a bowl, sift together the cake flour, both sugars, bicarbonate of soda, baking powder, cinnamon powder, nutmeg powder and salt.
- Mix well
- Add in the oil, vanilla essence, soy milk, apple cider vinegar and flax egg.
- Beat on medium until the mixture is well combined.
- Add the zucchini and beat till the mixture moistens and becomes a nice wet batter.
- Fold in the almond nibblers.
- Fill your muffins casings ¾ of the way or 1 ice cream scoop measure.
- Pop into a preheated oven.
- Bake at 180 degrees for 15 – 20 minutes or until the cake tester comes out clean.