I am not a fan of omelette, no that they don’t taste delicious or anything, but the fact that I can never fold the halves over each other.
They always seem to break at the join and in my frustration I just turn them into scrambled eggs.
Now I have never heard of a vegan omelette, I have heard of vegan fried eggs, vegan scrambled eggs both of which I have tried and tasted and loved but never have I heard of an omelette.
The other day I received a whatsapp from our church group and a lady had posted a picture as well as the recipe of an eggless omelette for those of us that were fasting for the month of Purtassi and didn’t know what to make to eat.
I was intrigued firstly because I have never seen this lady cook in my life and secondly it only consisted of 5 ingredients and they all just happened to be laying around in the kitchen.
My dad was my taste tester/guinea pig for this recipe…my mum was a bit sceptical because the recipe seemed more curry ball like than egg like.
Before I set out to make the omelette, I first fried all my fillings, which in this instance, I chose red onions and chillies as well as some grated cheese to make the omelette extra gooey.
The verdict delicious and you know what it tastes like an egg omelette, you would never say that it was eggless at all, downside, extremely filling, I made the mistake of eating it with 2 slices of toast and well I was sleepy the rest of the day.
- 1 x cup gram flour.
- 1 x tsp salt.
- 1 x tsp baking powder.
- ¼ x cup cake flour.
- 1 x cup water.
- Whisk all the ingredients together till a nice smooth batter is achieved.
- Pour a little oil into a hot pan and swirl the oil around so that it coats the bottom of the pan.
- Once the oil is hot, pour some of the mixture into the pan and again swirl and tilt till the mixture covers the entire bottom of the pan in an even layer.
- Cook for about 2 minutes before filling half of the omelette with your filling.
- Carefully flip the empty half over to cover the filling and cook for couple of seconds till lightly brown, flip and cook till lightly gold brown as well.
- Slide onto a plate, garnish and enjoy.