The last meal I ate in my 20’s was a Nutella and banana waffle from Rocco Mama’s, it of course contained eggs, so my mum never got to enjoy a piece herself.
One of my birthday presents was a waffle maker, the last waffle maker I had didn’t actually cook my waffles, 99% of the time the waffle would be brown on the edges and raw in the centre, so when I finally got a real waffle maker, I knew that I had to at least try making a proper waffle.
Seeing as my mum is a vegetarian, making a waffle that contains an egg is out of the option. I did some research and came across an eggless waffle recipe that seemed simple enough to make and I was not overly sweet, so everyone could enjoy it.
- 1 ¼ x cup soy milk.
- 1 x tsp apple cider vinegar.
- ¼ x cup cooking oil.
- ¼ x cup maple syrup.
- ½ x cup rolled oats.
- 1 ¾ x cup cake flour.
- 1 ½ x tsp baking powder.
- Pinch of salt.
- 1 x tsp vanilla essence.
- Whisk together soy milk and apple cider vinegar, set aside for 5 minutes to allow to curdle.
- Add the oil, maple syrup and whisk together, set aside.
- In another bowl, mix together the cake flour, rolled oats, baking powder and salt together.
- Pour that wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and whisk till combined.
- Add the vanilla essence and whisk again.
- Allow to stand for 10 minutes.
- Pour your batter into your waffle iron and allow to cook.
- Serve as you desire, I served mine with Nutella , chopped bananas, plain vanilla ice cream and I drizzled over maple syrup.