My mother has a thing for enchiladas after she saw me making a enchilada dish one night.
Of course my the dish contained meat, so she watched from the side lines while we devoured it.
Since then, whenever I ask what she feels like eating, she keeps hinting at enchiladas. She wants the exact same version I made for the meat eaters, but instead of putting meat, to add soya mince. I think she has an early death wise. Especially if my dad has to eat a piece…. That man hates soya.
I am not sure what he dislikes more, paneer or soya… I should make both for him and see what happens… or maybe not. I don’t want to tempt fate and put my medical aid to the test.
I came across the recipe in one of Mary Berry’s cookbooks. It seemed very simple and quick to make and the end result looked delicious.
Finally word on this recipe, my mother loved it. Evenly my uncle had some left over to take home with him as well.
Thank God my dad didn’t get to sample it, because lately every dish I seem to make has beans in them and his about had it with beans. He will complain all I am eating is beans BEANS and more Beans… when are we going to eat something else other than beans. So complicated I tell you.
Of course, I tweaked the recipe a little to accommodate my pantry ingredients.
- 1 x tbsp. oil.
- 1 x onion, finely chopped.
- 1 x tbsp. sweet Jalapeno sauce
- 1 x garlic clove, crushed.
- 1 x can tomatoe and onion mix.
- Zest of a lemon.
- 2 x tbsp. coriander, chopped.
- Salt and pepper to season.
- 8 x tortilla wraps.
- Grated cheddar cheese.
- 1 x tin kidney beans, drained and rinsed.
- Store bought guacamole to serve on the side.
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Add the onions and saute till transparent.
- Add the garlic and jalapeno sauce.
- Give it a good stir.
- Add the tomatoe and onion mix, stir and allow to cook till the tomatoe is mushy.
- Add the lemon zest and coriander.
- Stir and season well.
- Cook till all the water has been absorbed.
To make this stack:
- Take one tortilla and place it in a hot pan.
- Evenly smear some of the sauce over the tortilla.
- Add the cheese, beans and then ontop of everything another tortilla.
- Allow each side to brown nicely before sliding onto a plate and serving with some guacamole.