I make meat burgers all the time, it seems easier to make rather than buying the ready made burgers from the store.
However, I have not made homemade veggies burgers before. My mother has been nagging me to try making soya burgers from scratch, but it seems to daunting as to how everything is going to stick together.
I came across this recipe in Mary Berry’s cookbook. I was surprised as you are that she had a recipe for a vegetable burger amongst all her meat recipes, but there is was page 114, right in the centre Mrs Venter.
I didn’t have burger buns to serve the patties on, so I improved and used toasted bread.
The recipe also came with a topping to serve on the burgers called dressed lettuce and seeing as I also had all the ingredients for this as well. I thought why not give it a try. I was surprised that I even had mustard in the pantry, we as a family are not huge mustard lovers. Yes when I go to Wimpy, I always drown my chips in tomato and mustard but outside Wimpy, I am not a huge fan of it.
The verdict, the burger was delicious, I had a little mishaps here and there with the frying but after the first few flops, I finally got the hang of it and there was no more breakage.
- 3 x tsp butter.
- 125g x mushrooms, finely chopped.
- 1 x leek, finely chopped.
- 1 x tsp sugar.
- 1 x clove garlic, crushed.
- 2 x 400g tins butter beans, drained and rinsed.
- Flour for coating.
- Salt and pepper to season
- ¼ x cup oil.
- Melt the butter in a pan.
- Add the mushrooms and leeks and cook till soft.
- Add the sugar, garlic and give it a good stir.
- Add the beans and cook for about a minute or so.
- Remove from the heat and mash till the beans and roughly smashed.
- Shaped into burgers
- Mix the flour and seasoning together.
- Dust both sides of the patties with the flour seasoning mixture.
- Lightly fry both sides of the burgers till golden brown.
Ingredients for the dressed lettuce:
- ¼ x cup mayo
- 2 x tbsp. Dijon mustard.
- Dash of lemon juice
- A few lettuce leaves, finely shredded.
- 1 x onion, thinly sliced.
Method for the lettuce:
- Toss everything together in a bowl to ensure everything is nicely coated.
- Place the patties on a burger and garnish with the dressed lettuce.