I love making scones and eating them. And when I come across an eggless scone recipe, then I have hit the jackpot.
I came across the recipe for this scones in Annabel Langbein’s Essential cookbook.
I turn these into drop scones, where I used an ice cream scoop to scoop the mixture and then I just plopped them directly onto the baking pan, no shaping was needed, hence the rustic look.
- 3 x cups self raising flour.
- 2 ½ x cups grated cheddar cheese.
- 1 x cup finely chopped spinach leaves.
- 3 x tsp baking powder.
- 1 x tsp salt.
- 2 x cups buttermilk.
- In a bowl, mix the self-raising flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add the cheddar cheese and spinach and give it a good mix so that everything is well combined.
- Add the buttermilk and mix until the buttermilk has coated everything and the mixture comes together.
- Using a mechanical ice cream scoop, scoop spoonful of the batter ontop a greased baking tray.
- I brushed the top of my rustic scones with melted butter, but this is optional.
- Pop into a preheated oven and bake at 180 degrees for 15 – 20 minutes or until the scones are golden brown.